1.7
Insurance Plans Acceptance

Like another reviewer posted, me and my family shop at Target frequently so we expected our experience with the optical boutique to be just as pleasant as shopping there.On 8/17 I visited our local Target optical on Lakeline Dr in Cedar Park, TX.

I was upfront with the sales associate, Yuset, and told her that I did not want any of the extra bells and whistles on our order, just plain lenses for my kiddo. She said ok started clicking away in her computer, took out a calculator and added $35 to the cost and gave me a total of $260. I told her there was no way that price was right and that we have never paid that much with insurance. She insisted that, that was our final cost with insurance.

She never explained what the additional $35 was for nor did she provide an itemized estimate showing the breakdown of the cost. We left and returned later that evening with my husband hoping to be helped by someone else who knew what they were doing. We also took our detailed insurance benefits with us to compare it to the estimate. Much to our dismay, Yuset was still there and was the only associate at the store.

I told her that we returned to learn more about her pricing as the estimate amount did not add up with our insurance benefits. She was automatically very defensive and denied ever giving me a quote of $260. In fact she repeatedly said that I was wrong. When I asked her about the $35 add on she ignored me and did not deny that she did that and chose to not address it.

She then gave us a new estimate of $100 again no breakdown, it simply said polycarbonate lenses. When I asked as to why she was adding polycarbonate she said that it was required. My kids have been in glasses for years and while yes I know it is recommended I also know my right as an insurance carrier that it is not mandatory to purchase. She continued to argue with us that it was mandatory and after several minutes of arguing she then eventually called her store manager, put him on speaker and asked if she could sell us lenses without the polycarbonate to which he replied yes without hesitation and very casually.

When he said yes, she said "Well I know, but isn't there a form needed for that?" So basically in that phone call I learned that she knew it was possible she just didn't want to back down. She then went on to saying how she was frustrated with us. After her phone call with the manager and her unselecting all the extra stuff I had already told her we didn't want, our estimate came out to $40 which still wasn't right. We asked her to print it out and she said she couldn't.

When she continued to talk to us rudely I told her that I would have to record the rest of our conversation with her. Then and only then did she try to be nicer to us. My husband reached out to guest relations when we got home and we were given a case number. Today, 8/18, I have reached out again as we have heard nothing back from Target about the situation.

I was told again that someone would contact us. To me it is upsetting that they were trying to be deceitful about our benefits and additionally trying to force us to buy something that we knew we did not need nor want. For others who are already overwhelmed with buying glasses for the first time, they may have unknowingly paid that thinking that, that's the final cost and that they had no other choice.

We have also reached out to our insurance provider to make them aware of the shady practices being done at the aforementioned Target optical location.While we have already chosen to shop elsewhere for our kid's glasses, it is still important to us that Target addresses this issue by thoroughly investigating this location's practices so that this does not happen to anyone else.

Review about: Target Optical Sales Representative.

Reason of review: Problems with payment.

Had an Experience with Target Optical?

Comments